SYLLABUS FOR CLASS 11 ENGLISH CORE
CBSE Class 11 syllabus for English Core is available here.
ENGLISH CORE (CODE NO. 301)
CLASS – XI (2022-23)
SECTION – A
Reading Comprehension through Unseen Passage (18 Marks)
I. One unseen passage to assess comprehension, interpretation inference and vocabulary. The passage may be factual, descriptive or literary.
II. One unseen case-based passage with verbal/visual inputs like statistical data, charts etc.
Note: The combined word limit for both the passages will be 600-750.
Multiple Choice Questions / Objective Type Questions will be asked. (10+8 = 18 Marks)
III. Note Making and Summarization based on a passage of approximately 200-250 words.
i. Note Making:
· Numbering and indenting:
ii. Summary (up to 50 words):
IV. Grammer (7 Marks)
- Questions on Gap filling (Tenses, Clauses)
- Questions on re-ordering/transformation of sentences
(Total seven questions to be done out of the eight given).
V. Creative Writing Skills 16 Marks
- Short writing task – Classified Advertisements up to 50 words. One out of the two given questions to be answered (3 Marks: Format : 1 / Content : 1 / Expression : 1)
- Short writing task –Poster up to 50 words. One out of the two given questions to be (3marks:Format : 1 / Content : 1 / Expression : 1)
- Writing a Speech in 120-150 words based on verbal / visual cues related to some contemporary/ age-appropriate topic.
- Writing a Debate based on visual/verbal inputs in 120-150 The theme should be contemporary topical issues. One out of the two given questions to be answered. (5 Marks: Format: 1 / Content: 2 / Expression: 2)
This section will have variety of assessment items including Multiple Choice Questions, Objective Type Questions, Short Answer Type Questions and Long Answer Type Questions to assess comprehension, analysis, interpretation and extrapolation beyond the text.
VI. Reference to the Context
- One Poetry extract out of two from the book Hornbill to assess comprehension, interpretation, analysis and (3×1=3 Marks)
- One Prose extract out of two from the book Hornbill to assess comprehension, interpretation, analysis and appreciation. (3×1=3 Marks)
- One prose extract out of two from the book Snapshots to assess comprehension, interpretation and (4×1=4 Marks)
- Two Short answer type question (one from Prose and one from Poetry from the book Hornbill), out of four, to be answered in 40-50 Questions should elicit inferential responses through critical thinking. (3×2=6 Marks)
- One Short answer type question, from the book Snapshots, to be answered I n 40- 50 words. Questions should elicit inferential responses through critical thinking. Any 1 out of 2 questions to be (3×1=3 Marks)
- One Long answer type question, from Prose/Poetry Hornbill, to be answered in 120-150 words. Questions can be based on incident / theme / passage / extract / event as reference points to assess extrapolation beyond and across the text. The question will elicit analytical and evaluative response from Any 1 out of 2 questions to be done. (1×6=6 Marks)
- One Long answer type question, based on the chapters from the book Snapshots to be answered in 120-150 words to assess global comprehension and extrapolation beyond the Questions to provide evaluative and analytical responses using incidents, events, themes as reference points. Any 1 out of 2 questions to be done. (1×6=6 Marks)
Assessment of Listening Skills (5 MARKS)
Assessment of Speaking Skills (5 MARKS)
Project Work (10 MARKS)
- Hornbill: English Reader published by National Council of Education Research andTraining, New Delhi
- The Portrait of a Lady (Prose)
- A Photograph (Poem)
- “We’re Not Afraid to Die… if we can be together
- Discovering Tut: the Saga Continues
- The Laburnum Top (Poem)
- The Voice of the Rain (Poem)
- Childhood (Poem)
- The Adventure
- Silk Road (Prose)
- Father to Son
- Snapshots: Supplementary Reader published by National Council of EducationResearch and Training, New Delhi
- The Summer of the Beautiful White Horse (Prose)
- The Address (Prose)
- Mother’s Day (Play)
- Birth ( Prose)
- The Tale of Melon City